Orangutan SSP Husbandry Course and Workshop
The Little Rock Zoo is excited to host the Orangutan SSP Husbandry Course and Workshop for 2022. Our workshop will concentrate on Orangutan husbandry and management, conservation and research. Please review the below page for pertinent information on the workshop. Please click here for information on the workshop's keynote speaker, Terry Maple, PhD.
- SSP Steering Committee Meetings (closed): Sunday, August 14
- Husbandry Course: Monday, August 15
- Ice Breaker: Evening of Monday, August 15
- Workshop: Tuesday, August 16 through Thursday, August 18
- Zoo Day, Banquet and Silent Auction: afternoon/evening of Thursday, August 18
- Post Trip: Friday, August 19 [Trip to Memphis Zoo including private tour and lunch]
Come Enjoy Little Rock!
Are you ready to learn about orangutan conservation and have a great time? In addition to an engaging keynote speaker, great presentations, networking opportunities and a post-workshop trip to the Memphis Zoo, the city of Little Rock is full of culture and entertainment.
The husbandry course and workshop will be hosted in the incredible Capital Hotel that is located right next to downtown Little Rock’s entertainment district. Within a short walk you’ll be able to visit many restaurants, bars, shops, museums and displays of artwork. You can even tour the Bill Clinton Library and Museum, and scenic areas such as the Arkansas River Trail and the Presidential Park Wetlands.
All things Little Rock: www.littlerock.com
Places that will give a discount with your conference badge: www.littlerock.com/deals
Great places to eat: https://www.downtownlr.com/pages/play/eat/
Fun things to do: https://www.downtownlr.com/pages/play/see/
Entertainment district info: https://www.rivermarket.info/RMED
Arts and Attractions Guide: https://issuu.com/lrcvb/docs/little_rock_attractions_guide_2021-03-03_interacti
Would you like even more to do? Take a short ride across the river and you’ll be in North Little Rock where there’s lots more fun! Check out this link: https://www.argentaartsdistrict.org/food
Use the following link to register for the husbandry course, the workshop and the post-workshop trip. You can register for individual days or sign up for everything. The husbandry course and the post-workshop trip have fees separate from the workshop.
Late fees of $50 per person will be in effect beginning July 1, 2022. Registration will end at 12pm on July 15, 2022
Click here to register: https://zooedu.wufoo.com/forms/mo4v2701hwcm2c/
If you registered for the workshop, and are unable to attend because of 1) illness related to COVIID-19, or 2) a change in your institution's travel policy due to COVID-19, a full refund of your registration will be granted A virtual option for the conference will not be available.
UPDATE: There are no longer any discounted rooms available at the Capital Hotel. There are still rooms available in varying arrangements at their normal price which is around $248 for standard and double occupancy rooms.
To reserve a room at the Capital Hotel:
- Contact info: Call 501-374-7474 or email CH-Reservations@capitalhotel.com
Visit the following site for more information about this amazing hotel: https://www.capitalhotel.com/
Additional nearby hotel options:
Rates at these hotels are typically lower than the Capital Hotel. However, no room blocks have been set aside at the hotels listed below.
- DoubleTree (three-minute walk from the Capital Hotel)
- 424 West Markham St.
Little Rock, Arkansas, 72201
- Link to website: https://bit.ly/DoubleTreeLittleRock
- Courtyard by Marriott (eight-minute walk from the Capital Hotel)
- 521 President Clinton Avenue
- Little Rock, Arkansas 72201
- Link to website: https://bit.ly/CourtyardLittleRock
General Workshop Schedule
Sunday, August 14
- Steering Committee Meetings (AM/PM)
Monday, August 15
- Husbandry Course Presentations (AM/PM)
- Ice Breaker (PM) - Exact time is TBD, potential start time around 5:30pm
Tuesday, August 16
- Workshop Presentations (AM/PM) - SSP Updates and Husbandry Topics
- Free Evening to Enjoy Downtown LR as You Choose (PM)
Wednesday, August 17
- Workshop Presentations (AM/PM) - Husbandry and Conservation Topics
Thursday, August 18
- Presentations (AM) - Vet/Medical Topics
- Zoo Day (PM)
- Banquet/Silent Auction at Zoo (PM)
Friday, August 19
- Post Workshop Trip to Memphis Zoo (AM/PM)
*The date for the keynote presentation is being determined and this page will be updated once confirmed.
Food/drinks served as a part of a paid registration (may vary with each day):
- Breakfast will be served each day except for Friday
- Lunch will be served each day
- Afternoon snacks will be served each day except for Thursday and Friday
- Ice breaker (light hors d'oeuvres and drinks): Registrants that sign-up for the husbandry course, only the workshop on Tuesday or the entire workshop may attend the ice breaker
- Banquet (meal and drinks): Registrants that sign-up for only the workshop on Thursday or the entire workshop may attend the banquet and silent auction
- Post workshop trip: Registrants that sign-up for the post workshop trip will receive a morning snack and lunch
Call for Papers and Posters
Speakers for workshop sessions and posters to be displayed during the workshop are needed. You can choose to be a speaker, submit a poster, or both. A wide variety of topics are encouraged such as: husbandry, medical, training, interpretation/education, and more. Speakers' sessions will last 20 minutes (including questions) and may be submitted as an individual speaker or a group/panel. If needed, a change to the scheduled speaker presentation length can be requested. The Orangutan SSP and the Little Rock Zoo reserve the right to request adjustments to allow for proper organization of each day’s agenda.
For further details and/or to register, please click on the appropriate link below.
- Speaker submission form: https://zooedu.wufoo.com/forms/m1ez6etz158fxtg/
- Poster submission form: https://zooedu.wufoo.com/forms/m1wz0gpp11ujm9m/
The deadline for requesting to be a speaker or a poster presenter is March 30, 2022.The primary contact listed on a submission will be notified by April 7, 2022, on submission status.
Want to help us raise money for the Orangutan SSP? We will be hosting a silent auction during the workshop and are always looking for unique items. If you would like to donate items for auction, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Attn: OSSP Workshop/Brian Kutsch
Little Rock Zoo
1 Zoo Drive
Little Rock, AR 72205
Call 501-661-7200 or email
Laura Bernstein-Kurtycz, email@example.com
The Wildest Value in Town!
Memberships support the Zoo's efforts to promote conservation and education. It is the perfect way to benefit humans and animals, alike!
1 Zoo Drive
Little Rock, AR 72205
Hours of Operation
9 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Last admission 4 p.m.
Zoo grounds close at 4:30 pm
Sign up to stay up-to-date on the latest zoo news, upcoming events and deals.